Skip to main content

"Sorry, Donald": Biden Takes Jibe At Trump Over Campaign Cash Lead

Joe Biden may be struggling against Donald Trump in the polls ahead of November's US presidential election but his numbers are looking good in one department: campaign cash.

The Democrat holds a widening lead over his Republican rival in the fundraising stakes, while Trump is burning through legal fees as he battles multiple criminal and civil cases.

The cash crunch has also given 81-year-old Biden a new line of attack on the campaign trail, as he mocks the self-proclaimed billionaire tycoon for his mounting financial woes.

"Just the other day, a defeated-looking guy came up to me and said, 'Mr President, I need your help, I'm being crushed with debt, I'm completely wiped out,'" he told a fundraising event in Dallas, Texas on Wednesday.

"Donald, I'm sorry, I can't help you," Biden said he responded, in a punchline that drew laughs and applause from an audience of supporters.

Biden's financial advantage may help calm Democratic nerves as America's oldest president suffers from record low approval ratings less than seven months from his rematch with Trump.

Biden's campaign boasted $71 million of cash in hand at the end of February -- more than double Trump's $33.5 million, filings with the US Federal Election Commission showed on Wednesday.

The incumbent's campaign raised $21.3 million in February alone, again nearly double Trump's $10.9 million. Biden meanwhile spent $6.3 million in the month but Trump spent more -- $7.8 million.

Those figures however don't show the complete picture for either candidate as filings from their various fundraising committees won't be made until April.

Biden's campaign said at the weekend that it had raised more than $53 million in February, leaving it with a "historic" total of $155 million, which it said was the most by any Democrat at this stage in the election cycle.

- 'Dumpster fire' -

Perhaps the most worrying element for Trump are his giant legal fees, as he faces criminal cases including for trying to subvert his 2020 election loss and keeping secret documents.

Lawyers' bills accounted for a huge $5.6 million of the money spent in February by Trump's Save America political action committee -- money that could otherwise be going towards campaigning and TV spots.

The figures add to Trump's woes as he struggles to raise a $464 million bond to appeal a fine by a New York court for fraudulently inflating his wealth.

The 77-year-old now faces having his assets seized in a humiliating blow to his carefully cultivated image as a dealmaker and self-made tycoon.

Trump cast the fraud case as a "witch hunt," seeking as he often does to use the legal cases against him to whip up his supporters -- and get them to open their wallets.

"I'm calling on ONE MILLION Pro-Trump patriots to chip in and say: STOP THE WITCH HUNT AGAINST PRESIDENT TRUMP!" a campaign message on Wednesday said.

The message was titled "KEEP YOUR FILTHY HANDS OFF TRUMP TOWER," his flagship New York property that could be at risk from the court case.

Earlier this month Trump managed to put together a separate bond for $91.6 million as he appeals a sexual assault and defamation judgment in a lawsuit brought by New York writer E. Jean Carroll.

Biden's campaign described Trump's finances as a "dumpster fire."

"Trump's filings paint a bleak picture for Republicans," Biden campaign spokesman Ammar Moussa wrote on Thursday.

But with a tight election looming and Trump leading Biden in key swing states in recent polls, Democrats will be trying to keep their war chest as full as possible.

Biden will be joined at a fundraiser in New York on March 28 by Barack Obama and Bill Clinton, the first event of its kind to feature three Democratic presidents and among the most lucrative in party history.

The gala show is set to raise $10 million for Biden's campaign, with guests having to fork out $100,000 each to pose in a photo with the 42nd, 44th and 46th US presidents, NBC News reported.

(Except for the headline, this story has not been edited by NDTV staff and is published from a syndicated feed.)



from NDTV News-World-news https://ift.tt/keZ9Nlp

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's Official, Kamala Harris Is Democratic Candidate For US Election

US Vice President Kamala Harris effectively secured the Democratic party's presidential nomination Friday, confirming her remarkable rise to party standard bearer in November's showdown against Republican Donald Trump. Kamala Harris was the sole candidate on the ballot for a five-day electronic vote of nearly 4,000 party convention delegates. She will be officially crowned at a Chicago convention later this month. "I am honored to be the presumptive Democratic nominee for President of the United States," Kamala Harris, 59, said on a phone-in to a party celebration after securing enough votes by the second day of the marathon vote. In the two weeks since President Joe Biden ended his reelection bid, Kamala Harris has gained full control of the party. No other Democrats stepped forward to challenge her elevation to the top of the ticket, making her confirmation as the first Black and South Asian woman ever to secure a major party's nomination a formality. The a...

Muhammad Now The Most Popular Name For A Baby In Great Britain, Data Shows

427 years after William Shakespeare wrote it for the first time in the great "tragedy" Romeo & Juliet, England is asking the quintessential question - "What's in a name?" - And this time wondering what significance that question might hold in another 42.7 years. The Department of Statistics in the United Kingdom has revealed in its latest dataset that Muhammad is officially the most popular name for a newborn boy in England and Wales. More than 4,600 babies were registered with that name in 2023 - the highest for a boy. Muhammad was the second-most popular name in 2022 as well. Noah, once the most popular name in UK, came a distant second this year, according to the Office for National Statistics or ONS. But the staff at Great Britain's statistical office has in-fact been observing the trend for a while now. Jotting down the most popular names in the UK, besides other important statistics, it revealed that Muhammad has been among the top 10 names for...

Pak's ISI Fuelling Unrest In Bangladesh, Claims Sheikh Hasina's Son

Sheikh Hasina, who quit as prime minister and fled Bangladesh, will be back in the country as soon as democracy is restored, his son Sajeeb Wazed Joy said on Thursday and blamed Pakistan's intelligence agency, ISI, for fuelling the ongoing unrest in the country. In an interview with PTI, Mr Joy said that although 76-year-old Sheikh Hasina would return to Bangladesh, it has not yet been decided whether she will be back as a "retired or active" politician. He also asserted that the members of the Sheikh Mujib (Sheikh Mujibur Rahman) family will neither abandon its people nor leave the beleaguered Awami League in the lurch. He expressed gratitude to Prime Minister Narendra Modi and his government for protecting his mother and appealed to India to help build international opinion and exert pressure to restore democracy in Bangladesh. "Yes, it is true that I had said she wouldn't return to Bangladesh. But a lot has changed in the last two days following continuous...